Search This Blog

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Special Event - Next up



Next up on my sewing list is Burda Magazine 3/2010 Dress 132 and Coat 130. I have a special event to attend to Tuesday the 30th. This special event is so special that a new outfit is needed. I have already started working on the dress and hope to be able to post photos this upcoming sunday. The coat is a whole other story and i may not be able to finish in time for my tuesday event. But here goes the details.

The dress is simple a high waist skirt with a heart shape neckline with simple pleating. The muslin sewed up in 10 min without sleeves. The dress should take a few hours. At this point the neckline was way too low. look at the photo below, girlfriends cousins are hanging out a little too much and this special event requires modesty. So i have raised the neck line 3 inches and here is how i did it. I traced a copy of the right and left front straight to the muslin. At the lowest point of the copy i placed a dot three inches up. I placed a pin in the paper copy at the shoulder and then pivoted the paper copy untill the lowest point met the dot. traced the curve and neckline raised. I did this on both the left and right front pieces.

This top has princess seams. Using the nancy zieman method has proven successfull for my on pricess seams so i have increased the side front, right front, left front, and back by 1" each. Yes that seams like a lot but i need room from my cousins to fit into this slightly fitted dress. So far the adjustments seem to be OK. I am struggleing with the sleeves can't quite figure out how they go on.

The fabric for this dress was a steal from joann fabrics. I had purchased 2 yards of this bridal weight silk dupioni on sale at 40% off. I fel like i walked away with a major buy. about two months ago the stuff was on the red tag table 50% off the original price and then........Joann's was have a 50% red tag sale. Ladies i purchased this 24.99 silk duiponi, in the most luxrious nude/gold color for only .........$3.00 per yard. so i purchased 5 more yards. And guess what ladies it is 60" wide!!!! I tried to take a photo of the stuff but it doesn't show up well on my camera. I have to wait for daylight to take a photo. Progress pending...


No comments: