Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

Butterick 5001

I have found my new favorite pattern.  Butterick 5001.  This is the most comfortable dress i own.  I made this version first....

Out of fabric i picked up  from joanns.  It's a rayon/Spandex knit that i purchased on the red tag table in the spring.  I had just enough to make this dress. No modifications were made although, i could have cut the top smaller.  I decided to cut the largest size the pattern comes in and i think it fits too big.  But that is ok becuase it's soooooo comfortable.

My second attempt was with a great matte jersey from Banach's fabrics here in Cincinnati.  Banach's is one of those stores you go to when you want a fine piece of fabric. Lambskin leather, Cashmere wool or even fine silk.  i LOVE that store.  So you can understand my excitement when i was able to pick up the fabric for the dress below.  Just before Banach's moved from Hyde Park to Madisonville they had a HUGE sale.  So i picked this beautiful matte jersey for like 75% off. LOVE IT

Here is my opinion.  THe rayon/spandex knit does not have enough stiffness to support the dress.  Notice how the gathers are not as noticable in the raspberry dress as they are in the black and white.  The only difference is the weight of the fabric.  Also the rayon/Spandex stretches so the dress sits almost at calf length.  But the Matte Jersey in black-n-white is much more flirty and sits right at the knee. 

Regardless i love this dress and plan on making more for the fall/Winter. 

No comments: