Search This Blog

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Burdastyle Plus 2008 403C Part 1

As part of my sewing challenge i decided to sew up a button down shirt, that i can wear with my work outfits or with a pair of leggings.  I choose the following: BurdaStyle Plus 2008 Fall/winter Pattern 403C:


.A very simple design with  a hidden button hole placket.


 After reading through the instructions i made my own translation and replaced the BurdaStyle type instructions and worked with what i was familiar with.  But the placket really gave me trouble and so did the yoke. Despite the challenges i have turned out a great top.  So i will go back in time and walk you through the sewing of my top.

To start,  in my stash was a bout 2 1/2 yards of 45" Shirting.  This shirting is red or pink with white weaved thru it.  It has a sheen to it and does not have stretch. I do remember buying this in 2008 from the Joann Fabrics Red Tag table during a 1/2 off sale.  i purchased white, black & white and this pink/red color.  The fabric reminds me of something very expensive and i suspect it is a polyester rayon mix because when a thread pulls you can see the effect in the fabric.





 My inspiration  for this challenge were two items.  The first was this fantastic Vogue shirt by a fellow pattern review contributor cleverkitty (click here to see it)  and two this Foxcroft shirt from Nordstrom.



I LUV these shirts and in Cincinnati you can only find them at Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack.  These shirts do not wrinkle are are extremely comfortable. So i went looking for a pattern.  In my stash were several button down shirts i had two from McCall's, Perfect Fit by Patti Palmer series, I had several out of print Vogue.  But this shirt for Burdastyle Plus Magazine Fall 2008 really caught my eye.  It's been a while since i have stitched up a Burda Style pattern but thought why not challenge yourself even more.  For this pattern i traced a size 20, but after the alterations i should have traced something like a 14 or 16.  But again i am still trying to figure out my alterations now that i have lost 62 pounds.

That's it for now.  I will post more later.


.

No comments: