Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Butterick B5147

I have had great success sewing Butterick B5147.   After seeing Carolyn's versions (her blog here) i decided to try my own. So far i have made two wearable versions of this dress in Apple Green Linen & Black Jacquard..  My favorite is in the Apple Green Linen Rayon Blend.  I have already worn the green dress twice, dropped chipotle on it and a cup of coffee.  It is offically a permannt member of my wardrobe.



 I purchased 5 yards of the stuff on sale at Fabric.com 2 years ago.  I believe it was on clearance for something like $1.95 a yard.  I had a specific suit in mind  (V8799 - Below) .  The fabric is truly beautiful and the photos really don't show it.

Well now all plans have changed and i am planning on making the jacket from B5147 and a pencil skirt from my skirt block.  Using the Fabric below.  Isn't is beautiful.  The photo really does not show how pretty this fabric is.  I have washed it according the instrucitons and the silver lines you see below have puckered creating this boucle affect. I am so excited about working on the jacket of B5147.  

For now here is my review of B5147


Pattern Description: MISSES’/MISSES’ PETITE JACKET, TOP, DRESS AND SKIRT: Jacket A has front and back darts, collar and three-quarter length sleeves. Top B has front and back darts, side zipper. Slim fitting dress C has front and back darts, back zipper and back slit, length is 2" below mid-knee. A-line dress D has front and back darts, back zipper, length is mid-calf. Slim fitting skirt E has front and back darts, back zipper and back slit, length is 2" below mid-knee. A-line skirt F has front and back darts, back zipper, length is mid-calf. All garments are lined. Pattern Sizing: 16--> 24

 Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? So far i have only sewn the Dress, View C with alterations


Were the instructions easy to follow? I followed the instructions somewhat. This is an easy dress and one can figure out what to do without the instructions.

 What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I LOVE! this pattern it's super easy (A mojo builder) and drafted well. Lately the Big4 have been running a bit large on my so i have been going down a size. I dislike the instructions on how to do the vent with linning. But this may have been becuase i didn't read the isntructions. :)

Fabric Used: An Apple Green Raylon Linen Blend

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: The first muslin i made i cut the 24 and did a FBA. the dress was HUGE! at some point i just stopped trying to adjust the fabric and gave up and threw it out!. The next attempted i decided to not make a muslin and just wing it!. I cut the 20 and did an FBA. Lengthened the dress by two inches. the fit was PERFECT! i did have a bit of baggieness in the armhole, but i fixed that with the thrid version of this dress by making the side bust dart larger. I also moved the front bust darts becuase i did a 4" FBA (just on the top portion of the dress btw) . I also decided omit the instructions on the hem and did the lazy sewers way. I cut it down to 3/4" and ran a double stich along the hem.

 Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This is certainly a wardrobe builder a shift dress is something every woman needs, and maybe three or four of them. I recommend this pattern to begginners and those trying to build a wardrobe.

 Conclusion: This is a great pattern and i am now planning to work on the jacket

1 comment:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm so thrilled that my versions of B5147 inspired you to make your own. The B5147 jacket has been on my to sew list forever so seeing yours to come to life is awesome and making me want to rethink where it resides on my sewing list!